“The question is not whether we will be extremists, but what kind of extremists we will be…The nation and the world are in dire need of creative extremists.”
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
Young Radicals is an innovative youth project that develops the potential of marginalized young people to become agents of change. Using youth-led approaches, the project uses Paulo Friere’s methodology to inspire young people to challenge injustices using activism and community action to create a fair, just and equal society.
The project is a joint initiative between JUST West Yorkshire and Free Radicals in London who are committed to creating a national radical movement of young people around issues of economic and social justice.
The project aims to:
build alliances with partner organisations, youth networks and young people to promote a youth voice in decision making
seeking to promote a radical social agenda that gives young people a voice
Using mentoring approaches, inspire young people to achieve their full potential
• To develop the voice, confidence and skills of young people to challenge the status quo
• To undertake youth-led participatory action research to develop a robust database that challenges youth inequality
• To mobilise young people across the UK to formulate an agenda for action
• To develop a best practice model which encourages young people to transform situations of disadvantage and oppression into social and political activism.
• Supporting practical needs for employment and training
• Providing mentoring and facilitating an action based approach to personal barriers
• Build long-term change makers who are able to reframe and effectively challenge the status quo.
• Develop a youth voice through a strong news, media, campaigning and direct action network.
Young people will also be developing their own newsletter, films and other media outputs.
Any young people interested in contributing, or organisations and individuals who would like to find out more, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org